Start the camp season off right with this easy and incredible salad. Primus' partner Chef Adam Dulye, author of The Beer Pantry , has done it again with flavor packed salad that incorporates all the tastes of summer.
- 3 each heirloom tomato (about 1# total weight)
- 2 each small Persian cucumber
- ½ cup watermelon or cantaloupe, medium diced
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. champagne vinegar
- 1/4cup picked fresh herbs- chives, dill, parsley, chervil
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 slices sourdough about 2” thick
- 1 3oz piece ricotta salata
- Kosher salt & black pepper
In Advance at Home
1. Place the watermelon in a Ziploc bag and add 2 tbsp. of champagne vinegar. Allow to sit at room temperature.
2. Slice the cucumbers into ¼” circles, store in a plastic bag or container.
3. Remove the core from the tomatoes and cut into large wedges and bite sized pieces. Store in a different plastic bag or container.
At the Campsite
1. In a mixing bowl combine 3 tbsp. champagne vinegar with ¼ cup olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper.
2. Add sliced cucumber and tomatoes to the oil & vinegar mix and gently toss to coat all.
3. Bring the Primus griddle to a medium heat.
4. Brush the Sourdough slices with 1 tbsp. olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
5. Toast the sourdough on the griddle plate until both sides are golden brown. Remove from griddle.
6. Mark the ricotta salata on both sides on the griddle as well, about 1-2 minutes each side. Remove and hold.
7. Cut or tear the sourdough into large chunks and add to the cucumber/tomato mixture. Lightly toss to coat.
8. To plate, using a spoon, remove pieces of tomato, cucumber, and Sourdough from the vinaigrette and place on the plate. Arrange the melon around them. Spoon a generous amount of the vinaigrette over the plate.
9. Garnish with the fresh picked herbs and grate the ricotta salata over the top to finish.
Note: Pairs beautifully with the Crispy Skin Chicken.