Crispy Skin Chicken, Coconut Creamed Corn, Basil, Zucchini & Pickled Peppers
Looking to wow the gang on your next camping trip? Our friend Adam Dulye, executive chef for the Brewer’s Association and author of The Beer Pantry partnered with Primus to put together this mouth-watering combination that will make you the talk of the campground.
- 1 chicken- split into half birds, de-boned leg and thigh
- 3 ears corn, shucked and removed from cob
- 1 cup corn stock
- 2 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. canola oil
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 4 oz fresh basil
- 2 each medium zucchini, ends cut and cut lengthwise in half
- 8 oz mixed peppers, sliced into rings
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Kosher salt & black pepper
In Advance at Home
Up to 24 hours in advance pickle the peppers.
1. Bring the vinegar and water to a boil with 1 tsp. salt and sugar.
2. While hot pour over the peppers and store in a container that keeps the peppers submerged in the liquid.
At the Campsite
1. Bring sauté pan to a medium heat. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and black pepper.
2. Add the canola oil to the pan and place the chicken skin side down. Do not move the chicken! Allow to sear for 5-6 minutes to develop crispy skin. Flip and cook through, an additional 7-8 minutes.
3. With the chicken still in the pan add the corn and chiffonade basil and allow to slightly color, about 2 minutes then add the corn stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken and rest.
5. Add the coconut milk to the pan and stir to incorporate. Turn the flame to low. Place the chicken, skin side up on top of the simmering corn.
6. Bring the griddle plate to a medium heat. Brush the zucchini with the remaining canola oil and season with salt and pepper.
7. Place flat side down on the griddle at a slight angle. Allow to brown slightly and rotate 90 degrees. After 2-3 minutes flip the zucchini and repeat on the second side.
8. Remove the zucchini and place on the cutting board.
9. To plate, place the creamed corn down in the center of the plate and pile the zucchini in the middle of the corn. Fold the chicken thigh and leg piece under the breast and place on top of the zucchini. Top with peppers and spoon a teaspoon or two of the pickling liquid over the chicken skin. Garnish with chiffonade basil.
Note: Pairs beautifully with the Tomato Watermelon Salad.
- Tags: recipes